Tuesday, September 01, 2009

LAKE COMO: 18TH-20TH AUGUST

While in Italy I also visited Lolli and Teo for two days in Domaso, on Lake Como, which was just gorgeous.  Surprisingly hot, so they say, for this time of year, but that of course, was good for business – Lolli and Teo run a bar La Maddonina, and business booms when the sun shines.  It was so super to visit them, and they took a day off each, to spend time with me...I felt very special.

The first day Teo and I went to Bellagio, by ferry.  It's an important town, apparently, because it's precisely where Lake Como diverges to become two separate lakes.  And it was pretty sweet to wander around for the day, albeit scorchingly hot and NOT a good place for swimming.  Surprisingly, there aren't that many good swimming spots on Lake Como, and people tend to swim in pools, rather than the lake.  Not because of the water, although I did hear of some toxic fungus in one town while I was there.   Anyway, the second day I got to spend with Lolli.  She and I went to Villa Carlotta, a huge, beautiful villa (possibly 70,000sqm, but don't quote me) which was given to Carlotta when she married George...I never quite worked out who he was tho, a duke I think...I was distracted by thoughts of George Clooney, who has a house near there – but who, according to Mariana, an authority on most things, doesn't care about anyone and has never had a girlfriend for more than two weeks.  But I digress.  

Lolli and I had a great day at Villa Carlotta and later swimming in the pool at Menaggio.  But both evenings that I spent by Lake Como ended similarly.  At around five or six o'clock, the Italian host for the day realised they had to return to work at the bar and started to negotiate with me...oh...Leonie...let's not go back.  Lolli/Teo can look after the bar tonight.  Let's stay in a nice hotel...let's have a few more drinks...let's...

Oh shit.  I think my flight is boarding!

No comments: